Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Here are some interesting facts about hair.... Did you know that:
Hair is the fastest growing tissue in the body, the second fastest is bone marrow.
On an average adults scalp, over 35 meters of hair is produced every day.
On average, we lose about 100 hairs a day.
Over 50% of men by age 50 will have male pattern baldness.
Over 40% of women will have female pattern hair loss by the time they reach menopause.
Now back to the featured product... Out of the 13 ingredients listed in this product,  8 are considered to be toxic and most of these 8 ingredients should be avoided.  That is over 60% of the ingredients.  

Original Dippity Do Sport Gel Unscented Ultimate Hold

Original Dippity Do Sport Gel Unscented Ultimate HoldAqua (Water)
Polysorbate 20
Propylene Glycol
Tetrasodium EDTA


Water:  H2O, the stuff we drink.

PVP:  is also called povidone or polyvinylpyrrolidone, and is a polymer.  Yes, it can be found in more than just a pair of pants.  It is used as a binding agent in products.  It is considered to be safe to use, and of fairly low toxicity.  It does not appear to be a contact toxin, developmental toxin or a genotoxin.  

Sorbitol:  is considered to be a sugar alcohol.  It is used as a thickener, skin conditioning agent, and an humectant.  It is considered to be of low toxicity

Carbomer: is not actually one molecule but refers to polymers made from acrylic acid.  It is used in creams and beauty products as a thickening agent and controls the flow of the product.  This ingredient has been labelled as safe and has a low potential for skin irritations, allergic reactions, photo toxicity and sensitisation.

Triethanolamine: Is used in personal care products as mainly a surfactant and emulsifier and acts as a neutraliser of fatty acids or in other words a PH balancer.  This ingredient is pretty toxic. It is a known skin irritant and has been linked to minor to severe allergic reactions.  In research it has been linked to tumour growths in the liver of female rodents, surprisingly not in male rodents.  It is also a known toxin to aquatic species.

Polysorbate 20: is a sorbitol that has been treated with ethylene oxide.  It is used as an emulsifier, a fragrance and a surfactant.  In most studies it is defined as being of low toxicity.  However ethylene oxide is a known carcinogen.  Other concerns are endocrine disruption, organ toxicity, skin irritation and in high doses reproductive and developmental toxicity.

Propylene glycol: is an organic double alcohol.  It is used as a skin conditioning agent, a fragrance, and humectant.  It is classified as a skin irritant, and can cause conjunctivitis of the eye.  It is also considered to be a mutagen, a broad systemic toxin, and an immune system toxin.

Tetrasodium EDTA: is a preservative made from formaldehyde and sodium cyanide (known carcinogens).  It also acts as a penetration enhancer which means it breaks down the skins natural barrier going right into the blood stream.  It is also classified as a persistent organic pollutant.  It is a known cytotoxin, genotoxin, causes developmental and reproductive effects.  In my opinion this products should be banned.

is a chemical used as a fragrance ingredient. It is a known broad systemic toxin. It causes liver, kidney, and bone marrow toxicity. This ingredient really should be avoided. It is completely unnecessary.

Panthenol: is the alcohol analog of pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5) this means it is the provitamin of B5.  It is used as an emollient and a moisturiser.  Vegans beware, this product can be either plant derived or animal derived.  It is considered to be of low toxicity, and not an environmental toxin.

Methylparaben: is found in such foods as blueberries.  It acts as an antimicrobial agent.  In cosmetics it is used as an anti-fungal agent.  Parabens have had much controversy surrounding them in recent years, and for good reason.  There is strong evidence of methylparaben being a human skin toxicant, human endocrine disruptor, mutagenic, and a broad systemic toxin.  A good reason to stay away from parabens.

Methylchloroisothiazolinone: it is a preservative as well as antibacterial and antifungacide.  It is a known skin irritant and can cause chemical burns.  It is also considered to be a human immune system toxin.  There has also been studies showing mutagenic effects.

Methylisothiazolinone: Is also known as MIT, it is a biocide and preservative. It is a known immune system toxin, skin irritant, developmental toxin, contact allergen as well a cytotoxin. Why are we using this product? We need to start holding companies accountable and forcing them to start providing products that are beneficial to us not harmful. The general consumer should really start arming themselves with knowledge that way we can help to advocate for our health.

No comments:

Post a Comment